With the month of May comes the opening of my home canning season. This is my first batch: mulberries, which I use with dried fruit as a filler in bumbleberry pies, and low-sugar strawberry jam. I use Pomona’s pectin, which gives is a slightly different texture, and the result is a lot like Polaner All-Fruit Jam.
Here is a recipe for my Bumbleberry Pie with Mulberries and Dried Fruit:
- 1 deep dish frozen pie shell (2nd shell optional for top crust)
- 1 pint mulberries (fresh or canned)
- 2 cups dried berries (blueberries, strawberries, cherries, craisins, raisins, etc)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Water (enough to cover fruit in saucepan)
Preheat oven to 375 F. In a medium saucepan, put all the mulberries and berries in, then add enough water to cover. Pour the water back out into a bowl and whisk in cornstarch. Pour back water-and-cornstarch mixture into saucepan. Add sugar. Cook over medium heat until thickened and pour into pie shell. Add top crust if desired, crimping the edges and slitting with vents.
Place on a cookie sheet to catch drips and bake for 45 minutes or until top crust is golden brown. Let cool one hour before serving. Goes great with vanilla ice cream!